1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed.
juice of 3 limes
¼ cup finely grated hard Mexican cheese (cotija is good) or use ricotta salata
½ cup shelled pumpkin seeds, toasted in skillet until lightly browned
½ cup caramelized onion* (optional)
1 Hatch or serrano chile, chopped.
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
splash red wine vinegar
- Add cilantro and tomatillos to food processor. Start, and add olive oil in slow steady stream, then stop processor.
- Add pumpkin seeds, cheese, onion, and avocado and pulse until integrated.
- Add lime juice and seasonings, a little at a time, pulsing processor, then tasting after each addition. Stop when taste is right: mixture should be sour, intense and pleasantly salty.
- Remove from processor to serving bowl, and refrigerate an hour or more to let flavors blend. Serve with Spiced Lamb Meatballs, if desired.
* For caramelized onion: in large skillet over medium-high heat, frequently stir 2 medium, sliced onions in 1 Tablespoon olive oil until onions start to become limp; reduce heat to low and stir frequently until onions are very soft and browned, 40 to 45 minutes.
Note: this pesto works well in lieu of (or in addition to) salsa in nachos or other Mexican dishes; it is also wonderful as a sauce for pasta.
e-mail us: you can send your comments, recipes, or a personal message to Anne and Colin at: email@example.com