½ white onion, finely minced
½ bell pepper, finely minced
1 clove garlic, crushed
approximately ¼ bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, finely minced or 1 jalapeno and 1 chipotle pepper (optional)
2 sun-dried tomatoes, softened in boiling water and finely minced (optional)
2 tsp ground cumin (or more if you really love cumin)
splash Maggi seasoning (click here to buy) or Worcestershire sauce*
splash balsamic vinegar
salt to taste
dash black pepper
dash white pepper
- Add meat, vegetables, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, and sun dried tomatoes to large mixing bowl and combine with hands.
- Add seasonings and liquids and continue to mix until all liquid is absorbed and everything is equally distributed (visible pieces of vegetable are fine.)
- With melon baller and hands (or hands alone) form mix into grape-sized balls, and place in covered baking dish.
- Bake at 375º for 10-15 minutes, or just until cooked through. Using tongs, remove meatballs to serving tray.
- Serve hot, with Tomatillo-Cilantro Pesto as a dipping sauce, if desired. (Pass toothpicks along with the meatballs, if serving as an hors d’oeuvre.)
*in the US, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce is gluten-free
e-mail us: you can send your comments, recipes, or a personal message to Anne and Colin at: firstname.lastname@example.org