1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
1/3 cup olive oil (approx.)
1 red bell pepper, cut in half and seeded
1 small, fairly mild green pepper (cubanelle, poblano, etc.) cut in half and seeded
1 medium onion, peeled and left whole
1 large head garlic, unpeeled, wrapped in foil
1 lime, cut in half
4 oz soft goat cheese
black pepper to taste
dash paprika (smoked paprika—pimentón— is best)
1/2 teaspoon dried dill, or to taste
1 clove raw garlic (optional)
1 baguette (French bread), sliced on the diagonal about 1” thick
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt on both sides and let sit at room temperature 2 hours or more, until beaded with moisture. Rinse slices, pat dry, and brush with olive oil.
- Brush other vegetables with olive oil and set aside while grill heats.
- Arrange vegetables, including wrapped garlic, on preheated grill at medium heat and watch carefully, turning once or twice, until done through but not charred. Add lime halves at the end, and grill just until darkened on the outside. Remove everything from grill and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Unwrap garlic, cut the head in half crosswise with a sharp knife, and squeeze out softened, roasted garlic. Cover and refrigerate for later use.
- Remove blackened bits of skin from peppers and eggplant (optional.) Cut vegetables into bite-size pieces. Squeeze lime over them, add salt to taste, and reserve.
- Bring goat cheese to room temperature and mash together with garlic, mixing until homogenized.
- Add pepper, paprika and dill to taste and mix again, until it forms a thick spread. (Recipe up to this point can be done in advance, as long as you return goat cheese spread and grilled vegetables to room temperature before assembling crostini)
- Shortly before serving, rub bread slices with raw garlic clove, if desired, and brush them lightly with oil. Grill or toast them in oven until just lightly browned.
- Spread cheese mixture onto bread slices, top with vegetables, and serve.
e-mail us: you can send your comments, recipes, or a personal message to Anne and Colin at: email@example.com