- Mix oats with salt and 1 cup of the water in small, heavy-bottomed pot. Cover and let stand for at least 7 hours, or as much as 24 hours, unrefrigerated.
- Stir in remaining water and heat to bubbling. Simmer, stirring often, for just 2 or 3 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat, stir in flax and sunflower seed, if using, and let the pot stand, covered, for a minute or so more.
- Serve with milk of your choice, and/or any of you favorite add-ins.
- Leftovers may be refrigerated and reheated in the microwave, with the addition of a couple tablespoons water.I love grapefruit for breakfast, too, but not painstakingly digging it out at the breakfast table. That's why the grapefruit sectioning knife is one of my favorite kitchen tools. This little beauty has a narrow, curved blade, serrated on both sides, so it glides effortlessly around the triangular sections revealed when you cut the grapefruit in half. I also like to use a grapefruit spoon, with a pointed tip and serrated edge, at table: it makes eating the grapefruit very easy and pleasant. Bonus feature: you can also use the grapefruit spoon in the kitchen, to scrape the seeds from cucumbers, peppers and other seeded veggies.
Have a handy tip to make breakfast time easier? Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org