1/2 medium red onion, sliced in thin rings
juice of 1 lemon
2 clementines, or 1 small tangerine, zested
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 shallot, minced
2 heads radicchio, shaved thin with very sharp knife
2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and sliced thin
1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
feathery fronds from fennel, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts (click here to find online)
- Combine onion and lemon juice and let marinate several hours or overnight in refrigerator. Drain, reserving juice, and set aside.
- Combine lemon juice, zest, juice of one of the clementines (or half the tangerine), olive oil, salt, pepper and shallot, and whisk, blend, or shake until emulsified.
- Pour dressing over radicchio and fennel in serving bowl. Toss to mix, and let sit, covered, in refrigerator for 2 hours or more to wilt the vegetables.
- Add red onion and parsley, and toss to combine. Add salt to taste, if desired. Top with feathery fennel fronds.
- Toast pine nuts in skillet over medium heat, shaking pan frequently, until nuts are lightly browned and sizzling. Let cool to room temperature.
- Top with nuts and serve immediately.
e-mail us: you can send your comments, recipes, or a personal message to Anne and Colin at: firstname.lastname@example.org