Search Everything Tasty

Loading

Welcome to Everything Tasty

Welcome to Everything Tasty!
We hope you will add your comments, restaurant reviews, recipes, or whatever else you like, and make this blog as much your own as it is ours.

Friday, September 17, 2010

World Spice Merchants: My Khmeli Suneli Heroes

I just have to give a quick shout-out to one of my favorite suppliers.  
The other day, I decided to experiment with some Georgian recipes (more about this later), and quickly realized I'd be needing Khmeli Suneli, a traditional Georgian spicy herb mixture containing coriander, dill, basil, bay leaf, marjoram, fenugreek, parsley, safflower or saffron, black pepper, celery, thyme, hyssop, mint, and hot pepper, among other spices.  It wasn't available locally; I could learn to make the spice blend myself (and may eventually do so) but in the meantime, when would I get a chance to try my Georgian recipes?
  Enter World Spice Merchants of Seattle, one of the best online spice retailers I've yet to find.  I went to their website, and there (http://www.worldspice.com/blends/0379khmeli-suneli.shtml) was this obscure spice combo, sold in 2-oz packages for $2/oz plus a modest shipping charge for USPS Priority Mail.  In three days, the packet of whole spices was on my countertop (along with some brown mustard seeds and juniper berries I couldn't resist ordering at the same time) fresh and extremely fragrant, inspiring me to get on with my exploration of Georgian cuisine right away.  Thanks, worldspice.com!

Khmeli Suneli on FoodistaKhmeli Suneli

e-mail us: you can send your comments, recipes, or a personal message to Anne and Colin at: everything-tasty@annedesigns.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. What a find! I followed your incredibly wonderful link; so many flavors to explore. I'll check back for Georgian receipes.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think, add your own recipes, etc.